Whether it’s to create more space, or to upgrade features and increase value, these tips will help ensure your next renovation is successful.
1) Start with a list of what you want to change. Collect inspiration online or from magazines to select trendy ideas to complete your space. Then get a price estimate on your supplies from your local hardware store. Prioritize your list and rank each item in order of what needs to be accomplished. Refer to your list throughout the project to ensure you remain on track.
2) Always consider your time, budget and energy. These factors play an important role in how fast a project will be completed. Always set reasonable expectations for deadlines.
3) Plan your budget and set aside about 20% more for contingent issues that may arise along the way. It is always a good idea to prepare for the unexpected.
4) Draw out your plans. A rough sketch will help you visualize your concept to ensure there is enough space to accomplish your goals.
5) Measure twice cut once. Avoid costly returns and corrections by double checking your measurements.
6) Find out which renovations will provide the highest return. Get the best bang for your buck by choosing to prioritize the renovations that are a good investment.
7) Think Green. Remember energy efficient toilets, light bulbs and other appliances can help decrease your future monthly living expenses.
If you’re thinking of selling, click here to get a copy of our FREE E-book to help you prepare your home for sale!